Friday, April 9, 2010

Old Picture



I went to the historical archives building today to find an old picture of my house. I wanted to see the trim before it was destroyed to accommodate the aluminum siding. I needed a reference to go by to recreate this trim. In the 50s and 60s, pictures were taken of every house in Cuyahoga County for tax assessment purposes. I found mine. I believe it was taken in 1955. But what I was very surprised to see was that the trim in the corners of the porch were already cut in the picture. I was positive that they were cut to accommodate the siding in the 70s. Why would they cut these? I know they were cut because I can see the cut line, which is bare wood, not painted like everything else. And also because all the other houses have a design in these corner pieces where it kinda curves a bit inward. The thing is I have seen a few different variations and I wanted to know for sure which one mine was and was hoping finding this picture would clarify for me. But at least I get to see my house with original siding, trim, and slate roof.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your post. I've been curious to find an old picture of my house as well. It's also a 1914 foursquare in Portland. Where is the historical archives building that you mentioned?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what resources you have available for research in Portland. Try to find a Historical Society or Preservation Society, or even the local library should be able to give you clues on where to go for property research. Here they took pictures of every single house in the county in the 50s for tax assessment purposes and all of those are in the historical archives building. But it's different all over. Sometimes the library will have something. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete