Friday, December 21, 2012

Merry Christmas - 2013 Sneak Peak


Merry Christmas everyone! I have a sneak peak of a 2013 project coming soon. Today I received a truckload of 7 pallets of brand new Vermont roofing slate. This is my Christmas present to my house.

I am using slate with random widths in a historical blend of colors consisting of grays, greens, blacks, and purples, like the picture to the right. Of course, all the flashing, valleys, vents, etc will be copper. It will transform the house and last forever.

I have been planning on getting a slate roof and was taking steps in that direction when we got hit by part of the hurricane a few months ago. There was a lot of damage throughout the city, trees and power lines down, roofs damaged by the high winds. Some areas of the city were without power for a week.

I put in a claim for the wind damage to the roof and received a check which enabled me to pay for all the roofing slate with some left to spare. I got an amazing deal from Greenstone Slate and got 18 sq of slate plus 100 linear feet of starter slate delivered from Vermont for under $6000. That was cheaper than a lot of the reclaimed salvage slate I had seen.




5 comments:

  1. How, that's fantastic! Slate shingles are beautiful. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's terrific! That slate roof will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great deal! I wish my house still had its slate roof.

    ReplyDelete