The exterior of the house was covered in ugly, boring aluminum siding sometime in the 70s. It covered all the character of the house. This summer I began removing it. I started with the front of the house. The original wood is in great condition.
The biggest issue is that in order for them to get the aluminum siding to fit, they broke off the drip edges above each window, the edges of each window sill, and cut trim off, or removed it altogether. The most unfortunate part of all, and what I kick myself for every day now, is that this missing trim was probably amongst all the misc wood that was piled under the porch which I threw away shortly after moving in. Arghhh!
The paint is in really bad shape, it has deep cracks, is peeling, and blistered. It needs to be completely removed from the entire house. The only rotted wood I have found is the porch roof due to bad roofing, and the underside of the roof overhang on the back of the house, also due to bad roofing.
All the missing trim has to be fabricated (generally by driving around looking for something similar on someone's house to figure out what it originally was supposed to look like) and replaced with trim that has to be milled at a lumber yard.
While removing the rear siding, I learned that I used to have a balcony off the bathroom upstairs, on top of my back porch. The door was removed, and a small window put in its place. Next to it used to be a window, also removed.